Surreal Life

A story about two people, who first met each other through their dreams...

Chapter 2

Bright sunlight filtered through the large windows that ran along one wall, opposite the long bank of chairs where Kotaro slept fitfully, his head at a funny angle. He opened his eyes, cringing at the rays of the sun that temporarily blinded him. He slowly sat up, his body aching with the stiffness that usually follows after one has slept sitting up on the hard, plastic chair. He looked at his watch and was surprised that it was only 8 o’clock in the morning. It was silent, save for the occasional announcement of a doctor’s name through the hospital’s PA system. He stood up and moved to another chair while eyeing the ICU just a few steps further down the hall. Staring at it, he recalled what happened the previous day.

He arrived at the hospital the night before; frantic with worry, he rushed towards the elevator and pushed the button leading to the 5th floor, where the ICU is. Misaki’s mother had told him that Misaki is in a coma, and said she and her husband, Icchan, will visit first thing in the morning as soon as they arrive back to Japan from Hong Kong. He quickly went up to the nurses’ station and inquired about Misaki’s whereabouts. He was then told that there was someone else already inside, looking after Misaki. Puzzled as to who it was, he went towards the row of chairs that lined up the wall just a bit further up from the nurses’ station and sat down. Tamayo had wanted to go with him, but he told her that it would be better if he went on his own. This has caused a big argument between them, with Tamayo accusing him of still having feelings for Misaki. Shocked at what she just said, he had tersely replied that it wasn’t the time or place to even arbour jealous feelings towards her best friend and the fact that she was just being ridiculous. He ended up dropping her off to her house en route to the hospital, still seething with anger and disgust.

He was snapped out of his reverie by someone shaking his shoulder gently. He looked up to see Misaki’s mother, Shuuko, looking tired and worried. Her husband, Icchan, Misaki’s stepfather, stood beside her, obviously waiting for him to tell them about what happened to Misaki. Sitting down beside him, Shuu-ko said, “We drove here as soon as we got out of the airport. Have you heard anything from the doctor? I know I shouldn’t have left her, then maybe…” She tried to hold back her tears, but they fell down her cheeks silently. Icchan sat down beside her and embraced her, telling her that everything will be all right.

Racked with guilt, Kotaro replied, “No, I haven’t heard from the doctor yet, Shuuko-san. I arrived here the night before, and I was told that there was someone else looking after her. Maybe it’s her aunt, Shouko-san. Anyway, I wasn’t allowed in to see her since I got here after visiting hours are over.” His words faded into a broken whisper as Shuuko gently took hold of his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. She then gave him a questioning look and said, “I wonder who it could be. I just spoke with Shouko-san on my mobile phone after we arrived here in Japan. She is still at home, getting ready for work. She told me she will visit Misaki as soon as she finishes work today.” Deep in thought about this, all three were startled by a doctor coming out of the ICU and approaching them. Shuuko quickly stood up and ran up to the doctor. Kotaro couldn’t really hear what they were talking about at first, but they ended up where he and Icchan were standing. Looking at their expectant faces, the doctor looked Shuuko in the eye and asked, “Are you Suzuhara-san’s relative?”

Shuuko managed a brief nod and replied, “Yes, I’m Ogata Shuuko, her mother, and this is my husband, Ogata Icchan. With us is Misaki’s boyfriend, Kobayashi Kotaro.” Upon hearing this, Kotaro started to say something when he was cut off by the doctor, who said, “There has been no change with Suzuhara-san’s condition. We don’t know when she will wake up from her coma, or if she will ever wake up from it. All we could do is hope and pray for the best…” Shuuko let out a sob as she digested this devastating news, not really hearing the rest of what the doctor had to say.

“…I already told Mihara-san this possibility and I don’t think he has taken the news too well, either,” the doctor said. Kotaro abruptly interrupted and demanded, “Who is this Mihara-san?!” The doctor, looking very flustered, answered, “Ano, he was the one who called for help at the scene of the accident. He asked me if he can look after her and I agreed. I thought he was her husband at first, but seeing that both of them didn’t have any rings, I assumed he was her boyfriend, until he told me otherwise. Why do you ask?”

Kotaro couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “You let a complete stranger inside the same room as Misaki-chan?! Are you out of your mind?! I should be the one with her, not him!” He stopped suddenly as he realized Tamayo was standing by the ICU door and had heard everything. Shuuko followed his gaze and immediately went up to Tamayo and enveloped her in a hug. Eyes bright with unshed tears, Tamayo extricated her after giving Shuuko a brief sad smile, and marched over to where Kotaro stood. Ignoring both Icchan and Shuuko, she exclaimed, “I knew it! You do still have feelings for her! I was a fool to think and believe you when you said that I’m the only one for you!” She was about to slap Kotaro on the face when he caught her arm and with barely controlled anger, he said, “Some best friend you turned out to be! Misaki-chan is lying in there (pointing to the ICU) and all you could think about is this?! I bet you called my sister and asked her where I was!”

Oblivious to the other people with them, Tamayo shot back, “Yes, I did call Hatoko and she told me I would find you here! You didn’t even come home last night!” Kotaro was about to reply when the doctor stepped in between them in anger and said, “I suggest that you take your lovers’ quarrel somewhere else! I will not tolerate this kind of behaviour, especially here!” Straightening his lab coat, the doctor turned to Shuuko and told her, “You may go in and see her for a few minutes. I doubt that anything will happen, so please make your visit brief. Thank you.” He gave them a short bow and left to check on his other patients.

Kotaro and Tamayo stood with their heads bowed in shame, while Shuuko looked on them, surprise and disappointment evident in her eyes. “I don’t know what happened just now, but I will demand an explanation for all this!” She turned and walked silently towards the ICU, with Icchan’s arm across her shoulders, obviously trying to calm down her shaking frame. Both young adults looked up as they heard the resounding click of the door. Seeing this as a signal, Kotaro took hold of Tamayo’s arm and dragged her towards the elevator. They got in after a brief wait and soon they were on the ground floor. He waited until they were outside the hospital parking lot before confronting her.

“What the fuck have you done?! Do you know that you just spilled the beans out to Shuuko-san about my cheating? You insensitive cow! Did you even bother to think about how your best friend is suffering in there because of what we have done to her?!” Kotaro’s face turned an interesting shade of red, looking totally angry.

Tamayo looked at him, shock written all over her face. She quickly recovered from this and retorted, “Me, insensitive?! What about you?! You acting like the attentive boyfriend when you have been cheating on Misaki-chan for months?! You’re the one to talk! You got some nerve to tell me these things!”

Kotaro suddenly decided against talking back to her. Instead, he let out a sigh and curtly told her, “This is getting us nowhere. I can’t believe I replaced her with you. This has been a big mistake. We’re through! It’s over!” Ignoring Tamayo’s sobs, he added, “I’ll stop by your house to get my things.” With this final blow, he left her and went over to where he parked his car, got in quickly, and drove off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment